She Reads South Asia

SheReadsSouthAsia

Tuesday, December 04, 2007

Semifinalist in Essay Contest

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to let you know how excited I am to be chosen as a semi-finalist in the Emerging Films essay contest on "Why I Dream of Going to India". I didn't win the grand prize but I did have the honor of making it to the semi-finals and winning $100 for my entry. Here is the email I just received:

Dear semi-finalist,

After much deliberation, we have finally chosen our contest winner and wish to thank you for your participation and your wonderful, heartfelt essay. As we mentioned before, you are already a winner in your right, and you will be in receipt of a $100 cash prize.

Thank you again and all the best,

Emerging Pictures



My Entry:

India ... an alluring and iridescent land far-away. My dream to visit this exquisite corner of the world has eluded me for far too long. It calls out, beckoning me to experience ...

An array of vibrant colors contrasting beautiful brown skin

Succulent mangoes, exploding with flavorful nectar

Trains, music, dance, laughter, diversity, architecture, wildlife, cinema,

Supple earth, an all-embracing banyan tree, mountains, beaches

Drenching rains, steamy haze

Pungent, crispy bel puri and sweet, soft gulab jamun

Sandalwood, chamomile, massage

I desire to drink in the essence and exotic beauty of INDIA ... a longing waiting to finally be fulfilled

1 comment:

  1. Nice one, I was too chosen among top 10 sem-finanlist. Here is what I wrote:
    "WHY I DREAM OF GOING TO INDIA?"
    I always thought of going to India without even giving real thought
    for question mentioned above. This one line question has shattered me
    inside and outside. WHY I DREAM OF GOING TO INDIA? Wow! I never
    thought that this question could be so serious. I feel this question
    is very serious because it challenges my way of thinking about going
    to India. To be frank I wanted to go to India just to be with my
    family. I wanted to have fun with new born son of my younger brother.
    I wanted to help my Mom with cooking. I wanted to talk for hours with
    my grand mother. I wanted to roam around my village. I wanted to have
    drink with my Father. I wanted to eat 'Gajar ka Halwa' made by my
    Sister. But, now with this topic of Essay I am taken aback. Instead of
    roaming around my village for fun, I should be finding people in need
    and help them. I should try to ask my Father if He his happy rather
    then sitting and having drink with him. I should massage painful legs
    and hands of my grand mother along with talking to her for hours. Just
    going in front of mother will make her happy but I should sleep in her
    lap to make her feel 'Mummy'. I should ask my Sister if she is doing
    fine in life before asking for 'Gajar ka Halwa'. I should try to
    secure a bright future for my new born nephew. I should go and Salute
    my brother who is posted in tense region of Jammu & Kashmir in Indian
    Army. I think now I have a very clear answer to the question. I dream
    of going to India to spread happiness around me. Last but not least I
    will get some "Mitti" in my pocket.

    -Arun Sharma

    ReplyDelete