She Reads South Asia

SheReadsSouthAsia

Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Does Anyone Know?

Does anyone out there in cyberspace know the name of this song and who sings it? I've put the English translation, but it is actually a song written and sung in Portuguese. I hope someone out there knows and can tell me. Thanks.

The lyrics are very deep in English, I can only imagine how much more so in their original language.




For seven years you fooled me and left me in darkness. I’ll tell the sun to tell the moon that I will never, never give you my forgiveness.

If someday by chance you end up at my door with a sack in hand. I would give you bread just as I would any other beggar. But I will never, never give you my forgiveness.

If someday by chance you end up behind iron bars, I would visit you just like any other prisoner. But I will never, never give you my forgiveness.

If someday by chance, I see you dead and stretched out in your coffin, I’d give you a kiss and then and only then will I give you my forgiveness.

7 comments:

  1. Very nice song. I am happy that you are updating your blog more often now. On the other hand, I am writing about Bollywood more often now. Of course, I am writing about business aspect than the actors and actresses.
    This song is interesting in the sense that many people feel that playing trick is a good thing. This song reminds us that you don't know what will happen in future.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Razib. That's interesting that you're writing about Bollywood now too. Small world. I've been on the site and read about Urmila, Monisha and Dev Anand.

    Yeah the lyrics are kind of like - Kal Ho Naa Ho, nah? :-)

    Hope we can find the song and the singer of it now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amor a Marinheiro

      Ó marinheiro que vais pr’a marinha
      Toma cautela não caias ao mar
      Olha que a vida da guerra é só uma
      E tu a mim tens que voltar

      Há nove meses que me enganaste
      E me deixaste nesta escuridão
      Hei-de ir ao sol amor hei-de ir a lua
      Mas nunca nunca te darei perdão

      Mas se um dia te chegar a ver
      A mendigares pedindo pão
      Dar-te-ei esmola como a qualquer pobre
      Mas nunca nunca te darei perdão

      E se algum dia eu chegar-te a ver
      Preso em alguma prisão
      Irei te ver como a qualquer preso
      Mas nunca nunca te darei perdão

      Mas se algum dia chegar-te a ver
      Morto estendido naquele caixão
      Dar-te-ei um beijo de eterna saudade
      E só aí eu te darei perdão ......
      António Fernandes de Oliveira Milhazes (adaptado)

      lafaekk@gmail.com

      Delete
    2. Thank you soooooooooo much for this post!!!

      Delete
  5. English Translation

    Love a Sailor

    O Navy sailor who'll pr'a
    Take caution not fall overboard
    Look who's life is just a war
    And you have to get back to me

    Nine months ago I cheated
    And left me in this darkness
    I will love the sun go I will go to the moon
    But never ever will give forgiveness

    But if one day you get to see
    The mendigares for bread
    Give thee as alms to any poor
    But never ever will give forgiveness

    And if I ever get you to see
    Trapped in a prison
    I'll see you as any prisoner
    But never ever will give forgiveness

    But if you ever get to see
    Dead extended that coffin
    Give thee a kiss of eternal longing
    And only then I will give you forgiveness ......
    António de Oliveira Fernandes Milhazes (adapted)

    ReplyDelete