She Reads South Asia

SheReadsSouthAsia

Friday, June 23, 2006

AW Chain Round 2

This is my first post in the AW Chain. Before me there was Andrea. You can read her blog and from there follow the links back through the chain.

Names are a funny thing. We're all given one at birth, some have plain names, some unusual, some exotic but all set us on our way to who we eventually become in life. In trying to find our place in this world, we often feel lost, not knowing exactly where we fit in the whole scheme of things. Then someone or something comes into our live, changing it and us for the better.

My faith was the first thing that did this for me and set me on the right road to travel. For this gift, I am forever grateful. Cherishing it with life itself, I try everyday to live up to the decision I've made.

Something else entered my life too, something I knew nothing about at first and that was the culture found in Indian life. From one film I fell in love with the colorful clothes, the music, the food and most importantly the people. With this change, I felt like I had come home to a place I had never been before and still long to visit. I will get to India someday but in the meantime, I have immersed myself in as much of the culture as possible.

In doing so, taking on the name Simran was one more step in that direction. I will always cherish the name my parents gave me when I was born, but someday I want to legally take the name Simran for myself. For now I'll just be happy with using it as my pen name and hearing those who are close to me use it.

Round 3, stars with Incoherent blabbing from an incoherent person.

Namaste,
Simran

6 comments:

  1. A beautiful post. Really beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Kelly. I'm so glad you enjoyed reading it. As I was writing it, it really got me thinking about things, you know. It was very theraputic. Thanks for including me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You must have been an Indian in some past life if those things happened to be true.

    Your love for this land is truly admirable. You are more "Indian" than many Indians, Simran :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a khoobsurat (beautiful) thing to say Bhaswati. Thank you so much. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Which movie got you addicted? I'm curious... Have I seen it? If I haven't, I'm probably going to want to get it...

    Bollywood movies are sooooo addicting. I love the music, the dancing, the clothes, the sappy sappy love stories... :D They're a hoot to watch.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Could you tell us more about the meaning of Simran? Is it after a famous person in India, or a meaningful word in Hindi or Sanskrit? Just curious.

    ReplyDelete